IT Support for Small Business: Is it Time for a Managed Service Provider?
As a small business owner, it can be challenging to know when the time is right in your company’s growth to bring in expert services, like IT support. But there’s really no need to wait. There are MSPs that serve all sizes of business and the right managed service provider can even help your business grow. That’s because a good MSP not only provides helpdesk and IT support for small business, but also works proactively to make sure your systems meet your needs for growth.
If you choose an MSP like SWAT Systems that has all-inclusive pricing, it’s in their best interest to manage your network like it’s their own, keeping your business humming in the process.
So anytime is the right time to consider an MSP. It’s past time when you’re spending more time on IT issues than growing and running your business.
Benefits of Managed IT Support for Small Businesses
Here are just a few of the ways small businesses benefit from having an MSP:
- Coverage. You get 24/7/365 IT support coverage, with no vacations, illnesses or health isolation issues that prevent them from coming into the office. That’s because a managed service provider doesn’t need to come onsite to handle most of your IT needs.
- Experience. You don’t just have one or two IT experts working for your business, but a whole team, which allows for more specialized expertise in areas like cybersecurity and IT strategy.
- Proactivity (aka “Skin in the Game”). A managed service provider will charge you a monthly fee. It will be the same whether they spend 10 hours a week maintaining your system or 60 hours a week putting out tech fires. It’s in their best interest to proactively shore up system gaps and vulnerabilities BEFORE they impact your business.
- Predictability. That monthly fee we mentioned? It’s the same every month, predictable and budgetable. Also, an MSP will review your network regularly and help you plan for hardware and other expenses, in advance, to make them easier to budget for.
- Disaster Prep. MSPs develop a disaster plan for your particular business, whether the disaster comes in the form of storms, a security breach or a server failure. They make sure you have backups and processes to get up and running quickly with little interruption to your business.
- Cybersecurity. If your site is secure, hackers can’t hack, ransomers can’t ransom and your data remains safe. MSPs load you up with a full cybersecurity suite and then actively monitor and address any potential issues, stopping or slowing attacks before they can damage your business. This also includes training your employees on how to avoid falling for scams.
- Partnership. Leaders of MSPs are small business owners themselves and the great ones will partner with you beyond your IT needs, offering their insight and advice on a variety of business-related issues.
- Cost-Effective. An MSP brings you all these benefits usually for less than the cost of one full-time IT employee with benefits.
Small Business IT Needs
Many people think of IT support as simply a helpdesk or someone who keeps your computer from crashing. But managed service providers (MSPs) cover a lot more for small businesses. Here are just a few services:
- Overseeing all your business technology, including credit card processing, inventory management, customer service systems and more. MSPs can be your point people with these vendors, help your systems “talk” to each other and even help you choose the right system for your business’s needs.
- Keeping your hardware, software and phone systems updated on every single device your company owns (computers, servers, mobile phones). Staying up to date is crucial to prevent security breaches.
- Helping you get and stay compliant for credit card processing, HIPAA and other data-related regulations.
- Creating and maintaining a disaster recovery plan, including data backup and recovery.
- Managing your email, chat and video conferencing systems.
Co-Managed or Hybrid IT Support for Small Business
Managed IT services don’t have to be “all or nothing.” Maybe you have a great internal team already and just want to get them some extra support or vacation coverage. Managed IT support for small businesses can be fully managed or co-managed; meaning that the MSP supplements and assists the in house team. Learn more about co-managed it support.
You are Going to Get Hacked
Know What to Do with our Checklist
Whether you've been hit by ransomware or are just worried about a ransomware attack, this checklist can help. This one page checklist has simple instructions to help your team act fast and feel confident in how to respond. Print, post and prepare your team wo know what to do in a ransomware attack.